24 January 2010

Stars and Stripes

This is a picture of my church, which I copied from another website. I love this place. Click on the picture and you'll see the American flag, on the front stage to the speakers right from the podium. That is the subject of this post.

I don't like national or state flags in my church, or any church, or any country's flag in any Christian house of worship. This has been bugging me for years and I'm surprised I haven't written about it before.

Hear me out and think about this. A church building exists for one purpose, to bring glory to God. It does not exist to bring glory to governments or temporal leaders of this world. What does the flag have to do with this? How does honoring a country glorify God?

I live in the United States and I think most people in the world would recognize that the US has done many, many good works. More than most countries, probably any country, since its inception. It has fed more hungry, clothed more of the naked and freed more of the oppressed. The message of Christ is spread in many parts of the world because Americans have died for their freedom, including freedom of religion all over the world. So what's my problem with the flag?

The flag on the stage says to me that somehow we connect our citizenship with our worship of Christ in this building. While I don't for a minute think anyone believes that being an American brings one closer to Christ we do seem to have this sense that our country is somehow special in the eyes of God. Does that mean that someone in our church who is a citizen of Iceland or New Zealand must pay homage not only to Christ but also to this country, and this flag, to fully participate in our worship? Of course not. So why is it there?

Jesus doesn't seem to have given a lot of thought to countries. No one can read his "render unto Caesar" statement and get the impression that Rome had anything to do with salvation or was entitled to the total allegiance of the citizens of his day. His thoughts about governments and citizenship merely instruct us to be good citizens.

There is of course a different perspective. Maybe the flag is there as a way showing gratitude to God for the blessings bestowed on this country. Thank you God, that we live in America. Of course if you turn that around it also means, thank you God that I don't live in Jordan, or Cuba, or Scotland. What about churches in Cuba that put their national flag in their church, and pray as we do, "thank you God for all the blessings you have bestowed on Cuba and keep our leaders safe and in your care". What is our attiitude toward that prayer and their flag? It's a hard one to wrestle with.

At times of war we view our allegiance to God and country as almost one and the same, as do the Christians on the other side of the battlefield. This is of course an observation that is as old as my religion. 

I think for every Christian, regardless of political philosophy there are times when your view of the world as a follower of Christ comes into conflict with the policies of your government. Our allegiance to Christ is paramount. Our allegiance to a country doesn't even come close. It's not on the same stage, not in the same realm.

I suppose God knows that I am an American. I find it inconceivable that He has ever given it a thought.

Stars and Stripes, wave them proudly outside. 

Inside, remember the star of Bethlehem, wonder and mourn the stripes on the back of our Saviour.

1 comment: