28 November 2010

Arkansas to Minnesota, a perfect drive

Spent the day driving across the middle of America with my two favorite daughters... In brief it went as follows, along I-40West to I-540 North to US 71 North to I-35 North. Perfect weather for a drive, not a drop of rain or snow. Passed my neighbor from across the street on I-35 just south of Des Moines, still scratching my head over the odds of that. Being a history and trivia buff I have thrown in an interesting fact about each city.
417am left North Little Rock, AR (hometown of MLB pitcher AJ Burnett)
5am   Morrilton, AR,  (county seat of Conway County, yawn)
6am   Ozark, AR, (Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie spent a month here working at Sonic)
7am   Fayetteville, AR (Home of the University of Arkansas)
8am   Goodman, MO ( a small town in McDonald County. Nothing of note has happened here)
9am   Sheldon, MO (Depopulated by Union forces during the Civil War.)
10am Harrisonville, MO (Named for a congressman Harrison)
11am Kearney, MO (birthplace of Jesse James)
12pm Eagleville, MO (slogan "A small town with a big tomorrow")
1pm   New Virginia, IA (per 2000 census, one hispanic person lives here)
2pm   Ames, IA (home of Iowa State and 9th best place in America to live )
3pm   Dows, IA (home of the "Dows Corn Days", the first weekend in August)
4pm,  Geneva, MN (named after Geneva, NY)
5pm   Northfield, MN (home of Malt-O-Meal and site of a James gang bank robbery)
530pm Home

No comments:

Post a Comment