25 November 2010

At twilight

I am spending thanksgiving morning with a friend who is 99 years old, and a few days away from 100. We watched the Macy's parade and now The Godfather.

What goes on in the mind at that age? Here are a few of his comments this morning. Some of these are things said to me, other are prayers uttered as the mind slips back and forth between places and times.

"The birds have gone south, why can't I?
O Father, my heavenly father, I love you, thank you.
I'm 107, born in 1910
I didn't expect to be this old, I'd give anything if my son was here.
I can still hear some, but see very little.
My wife, I'd give anything if she was here. She's my second wife, she'll be my last one.
How I miss walking through the trees, rather have trees than flowers.
O god, our father.
My brother and I never did get along, don't know why. He was always a momma's boy.
God only knows where my son is.
O father, take me home. To Harrison. It's not far.
I wish the birds would come back, but I don't think they will, I don't blame them.
My wife, my beautiful flower, why did you take her away from me?"

He sleeps a lot, comments on what he sees outside his window, and prays. His prayers are an
ongoing conversation with God. Expressing regrets over past mistakes or failings. He is a good Godly man. I hope that when my mind begins to fail as his is, I will have the Lord and my
family continually on my mind, as he has on this 99th year and 335th day of his life.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this, Uncle Tom. There's no one quite like Onis. Thanks for keeping him company on Thanksgiving. I sure hope we saved you some brocolli casserole. :)

    ReplyDelete