15 August 2013

The Creed at Lunch

Yesterday I stood on the sidewalk in downtown Minneapolis. Just paused for a minute after lunch to watch the crowds pass by outside Target.

I realized my ipod was in my pocket. I turned it on and for some strange reason felt compelled to listen to The Apostles Creed three or four times. You see people differently when you look in their eyes while hearing the words....

Like the hobo...
I believe in God, the Father Almighty, Creator of Heaven and earth;
and in Jesus Christ, His only Son Our Lord,

And the hobo's buddy, with the bandaged hand...
Who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried. 

The baby in the stroller
He descended into Hell; the third day He rose again from the dead;

The giggling girls
He ascended into Heaven, and sitteth at the right hand of God, the Father almighty; from thence He shall come to judge the living and the dead.

The business man
I believe in the Holy Spirit, 

The cop
the holy Catholic Church, 

the bus driver
the communion of saints, 

the little kids
the forgiveness of sins, 

the woman in the wheelchair
the resurrection of the body and life everlasting.

and me
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment