27 September 2020

The politics of running

This week I went for a long run on one of the many state trails. This one runs along the Minnesota River from Chaska to Shakopee Minnesota. 

It was two days after the death of a famous politician.

Along the trail there were little signs with directional arrows and rules such as "no motorized vehicles", "stay on the trail", "clean up after your dog", and the like. 

On each of the signs someone had placed a sticker, "Rest in peace, politician's name". Someone felt that while I am out running on this beautiful trail I needed to think about their hero. No, I did not. I could write much on what sort of person would do that, but since I once was that sort of person, I won't. Anyway, whomever you are, you briefly interrupted my solitude, but you won't interrupt that of others. The stickers came down, sign by sign, one by one. 

...and he left the woods better than he found them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment