01 March 2009

At the edge of the World

Garfunkels Restaurant, Heathrow, Terminal 4, 10am

Layover of four hours to close a wonderful trip to Cape Town, South Africa. My first trip on Virgin Airlines, business class.
Also this connection marks my first time in the mother country. Odd that it has taken so long. Many would say this one doesn't even count, since I'm only changing planes. My first impression is favorable as the Brits have passed the crucial test, they can make a very good cup of coffee.
Cape Town opened my eyes once more to the wonders of this world. Less than 24 hours ago I stood at the Cape of Good Hope and saw the confluence of the Indian and Atlantic Oceans. I had fish and chips at the town of Fish Hoek with friends. I have friends, good friends all over the world and its one of the many blessings of this life. The day was also an investment in these friendships and brought us all a bit closer together.

In Green Market Square I bought too many trinkets and did my best to work prices down to the level where buyer and seller could walk away with some sense of dignity. Managed to get most home in one piece. The people were warm and friendly and with a distinctive laid back style that helped put the pressures of this day and these markets in perspective.

Regarding Virgin - they go pretty far to try and pamper you and make you feel special. Nothing like the Asians but definitely a cut above the US majors. The problem is, you have to go for the pampering. If you don't want it, you quickly become an outcast and get ignored by the wait staff. Sir, do you want some pajamas? No. Sir, would you like me to make your bed? No. Sir, would you like dinner, No (It was after midnight and I just wanted to sleep). After those three nos, I was personna non grata through the rest of the flight. No breakfast, no hot towel, no drinks, nothing. The one time during the night I asked for coffee, the waiter proceeded to make some instant. Instant coffee! In business class! Never again.
But enough whining, for yesterday I was at the end of the world......

No comments:

Post a Comment