10 September 2010

Retail

I don't like to shop, though I love for others to do so. Perhaps it goes back to my first "real" job, as a management trainee for JCPenney at McCain Mall in North Little Rock, Arkansas (another story for another time).

Anyway, as an orthodox capitalist, I like to watch the exchange of goods and services unfold and witness the way it all plays out to create jobs and wealth. How people find new ways to innovate and get a better product to me at a better price and then convince me to change my buying habits in their favour. This is the big stuff of commerce that people do very well, both on a small scale and a massive one, particularly when left to their own devices to figure it out. It's also something that governments by their very nature cannot do well, on either a small scale or a large one.

These are a few of the places I like to shop, when I have to. Most are big, because they're really good at what they do. A few have chosen to stay small.

Gander Mountain          Costco
Macy's                          Dunn Brothers Coffee
Amazon.com                 QT
Bachman's                     Fleet Farm
Tim Horton's                 Cracker Barrel
Valley Park Hardware   Ted Drewes Frozen Custard

No comments:

Post a Comment