22 August 2009

My one and only post on fashion

What Not to Buy: An open letter to the PR flaks out there#links

I lament the decline in appropriate dress for church over the 80's and 90's. The Christian community has tried to reach out to non-attenders and make it clear that it's ok to come to church right from work or school, regardless of how you are dressed or your clothes budget. That is the right attitude. When I was a kid poor people felt unwelcome in church because they didn't have nice clothes. We made them feel that way, God didn't.

Unfortunately some regular church goers at my church have taken this as a signal that coming to the house of the Lord is similar to going to Wal-Mart. I can dress however I want based on what is convenient for me. Coming into this building is about me, not about Him. Even at Easter and Christmas. I'm sure tomorrow my church will have its share of Vikings fans wearing Brett Favre jerseys. Sigh. Or old men in shorts showing their respect for the house of the Lord in all their grungy summer finery.

Two weeks ago I saw a man at church wearing a t-shirt with the caption, "My rod and my reel they comfort me". That's not even humorous outside of church, but what was this guy thinking. I'm going to corrupt scripture, put it on my clothes, and wear it into the house of the Lord... so people will know I like to fish??!? That's a great reason to take the Eucharist. Anyway, I'm being judgemental, I know.

But I found a great post along a much funnier line, see link above. I stumbled across the blog recently and while i'm not focused, at all, on fashion or decorating, the writing style is excellent. The series of blogs are addictive.

No comments:

Post a Comment