26 April 2023

The Five String Banjo at the cracking of the day

 Today I watched the musical Camelot, the Richard Burton version. In it Merlin helps young Arthur in his education by getting him to "think like" other creatures. The owl, the perch, the hawk. 

I don't know what this has to do with the banjo, but my brain is chewing on it. Perhaps I need to think like a banjo. What would that be? "It's dark in here", "Hang on shoulder, hang on wall, hang on shoulder, hang on wall," "My strings itch".  

The more I practice and the better I become, the more private my playing. Another counterintuitive aspect of my life. Having spent my business career on stage, my retirement career is much more in the shadows.The gooder I get, the smaller the audience.  

It is indeed the most intense aspect of my life. 

At times even more so than hospice care, or "waking the dead" as one of my patients likes to call it.

It burns me good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment