I am seventy years old. I am an old man.
My grandfather often said, "I just want my three score and ten" and then he'd be ready to meet the Lord. referring to the passage in Psalm 90. This was when I was a kid and he was in his mid-sixties. So was it my grandfather or President Lincoln, who taught me what a "score" is. Close call.
I never said this to my grandkids, not sure why. I have told them, as he often did, that "I'm an old model".
Anyway, last week I celebrated this day with my three children and my wife. No grandkids No in-laws No friends and neighbors. Just the little nuclear family that once was ours. It was wonderful. It was my Celebration of Life. That what birthdays are, celebrations of life. Gathering after a death are not, they are gatherings to do a proper mourning.
There is a place in Minnesota where you should be someday. It is called the North Shore of Lake Superior. It was here, while asleep, that I turned from 69 to 70.
I don't know that I've had a better weekend. Certainly I've had many just as good but I am stumped to think of any that were better. We hiked Jay Cooke State Park, Gooseberry Falls State Park, Split Rock Lighthouse State Park and Tettegouche State Park. We went to mass together at Holy Spirit Catholic Church in Two Harbors, MN. We ate doughnuts, drank a little bourbon, played card games, hiked, ran into friends from Stillwater, MN, watched football, picnicked, drank coffee on a porch a few feet from Lake Superior. Ate good food at nice local places.
We listened to my bad rendition of The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. I opened wonderful gifts. I ate too much cake and ice cream, or perhaps not enough.
As in years past we did this family trip all together in one vehicle. In a Ford F150 that seemed made for such a day.
How did this happen? How is it that I came to be blessed in such a way? It is one of the mysteries of our lives. Some have years of visible hardship and suffering, as though suffering has a way of finding them, or those close. Others have it, in bundles, yet it is invisible. A few seem to make it through this world unscathed. Fortunate ones are tasked with walking beside those who suffer and being a rod and staff to comfort them. Perhaps I've been in each place a bit.
So this young man who often showed alternating signs of promise and failure, accomplishment and regret, honor and wickedness finds himself standing on the edge. A 70 year old hand holds a billion year old stone. As I have every year of my life I makes ripples. In water and in lives.
For the sake of your sorrowful passion O Lord, have mercy on me.
The Zero Years, where I rippled for a time.
Year 0 Johnson City Tennessee
Year 10 Pensacola Florida
Year 20 Bolivar Missouri
Year 30 Little Rock, Arkansas
Year 40 St. Louis, Missouri
Year 50 Eden Prairie Minnesota
Year 60 Victoria Minnesota.
Year 70 Victoria Minnesota and the North Shore of Lake Superior.
The blessings flow from our Lord. Heal me. Hold me. Don't lose your grip on me, even when I try to shake loose. Walk with me to 80, or 70 1/2, or 93. Thank you Lord. Please don't let go.
No comments:
Post a Comment