Do my blessed ancestors in heaven know us? Are they aware of what we are doing here? Prayers to these saints are heard, we know, but do they know anything else about us. Scripture hints that they do, but also hints that they don't.
This month I walked through five cemeteries and stood at the graves of ancestors who lived and died in the hollows and highlands of eastern Tennessee and western North Carolina. Graves from the late 1700s to near present day.
On Saturday September 5, 2026 I took my family to the grave of my Great great grandfather, Troy Jones and his wife, my Great great grandmother, Candace Pruitt Jones. Montezuma Cemetery in Montezuma, NC. I have a bed that he made in my home with a picture of him beside it. I did not know him, but knew his daughter, Clara Greene, my great grandmother.
Around his grave this day were a great great grandson, three GGG grandchildren and five GGGG grandchildren, and three of their spouses. 9 direct descendants. Perhaps the most that ever stood at their grave at any one time, at least the most in a long time. She died in 1926, He died in 1923. I would like to think that a hundred years from now my descendants will visit my remains. Perhaps tell some funny story that has been passed down. Maybe my GGG granchildren will run on top of me and rattle my bones a bit as my grandchildren did on them. That would be nice. Thank you Troy and Candace. You are not forgotten.
No comments:
Post a Comment